INA, Ill. (Jan. 14, 2020) — Several dual credit courses for Wayne City High School students will now be accepted at both Rend Lake College and Frontier Community College.
At Tuesday night's Rend Lake College Board of Trustees meeting, board members approved a joint agreement for dual credit with Frontier Community College, located in Fairfield in the neighboring Illinois Eastern Community College district. This agreement allows the two colleges to provide additional education programs to high school students of each district.
Students at Wayne City High School — located in RLC’s district — currently have the option to take four entrepreneurship courses for dual credit through Rend Lake College. Frontier Community College has agreed to accept the credit hours earned in the courses. The agreement is effective from fall 2019 to spring 2021.
New IT Course
The board approved the creation of a new course — CSCI 1237 IT Support Professional — effective Feb. 1. The course will have a $245 lab fee.
Ultimate Warrior Competition
A new obstacle race is in the works at Rend Lake College. REC Center Director Tyler O'Daniel and Aquatics Center Coordinator Laura Johnston presented their initial plans for "The Ultimate Warrior" race to be held at RLC. The race will be a shorter version of adventure runs like the Tough Mudder or Spartan Race. It is tentatively scheduled for Nov. 7 and more details will be available at a later date.
Kash appointed to Allied Health
Abbi Kash was approved by the board as an administrative assistant for Allied Health effective Jan. 16. The position is a full-time, non-tenure track contract. Kash has previously worked as a records specialist for Rend Lake College since October 2013. She holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration from McKendree University and Associate of Science and Associate of Arts degrees from Rend Lake College.
The board accepted, with regret, the resignation of Kelsi Nevarez as an administrative assistant for the Arts and Science Division effective Jan. 17. The board also accepted, with regret, the resignation of James Featherstone as coordinator of Data Information Systems, effective Jan. 17.
- The board approved payment of travel expense reimbursements.
- The board approved the destruction of closed session tapes that have been held for 18 months, in accordance with the Illinois Open Meetings Act. Minutes from January 2018 through June 2018 will not be released to the general public.
- The board approved changes to job descriptions for three positions: Allied Health Administrative Assistant, Financial Aid Assistant (part-time) and Communications Specialist.
- The board tabled discussions on a Reverse Transfer Agreement with Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
Mark your calendars
- The ACES 2020 Regionals will take place at 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 5 at Rend Lake College.
- Dueling Keys for CTE begins at 6 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 15 at the Scheller Playhouse.
- RLC will have a faculty/staff in-service on Tuesday, Feb. 18.
- The Illinois Rural Health Association Forum will take place 6-8:30 p.m. Thursday, March 26 in the Learning Resource Center.
- A Quarter Auction will take place Friday, March 27 in the REC. A time is yet to be determined.
- The 2020 RLC Job Search Party will take place 3-6 p.m. Thursday, April 23 at the DoubleTree hotel in Mt. Vernon.